Friday, November 13, 2009

So I was recently told that somebody in Ichomchaj, one of the communities I work in, gave their newborn baby the name Travis. I went to the health center to see if I could confirm the information. They weren't able to find the record, but I'm going to keep investigating and see if I can find my namesake, if he exists.

Then, this morning as I was shaving in the bathroom, I heard a knock on my door. I answered it to find a young man that I'd never seen before, who shyly introduced himself, in imperfect Spanish, and explained his problem. He wanted to give his daughter a name in English, and asked if I could help him out. I invited him in and wrote out a list of some female names, mostly the names of my female relatives. That definitely was NOT part of the Peace Corps job description, and despite my being a bit uncomfortable about how what Guatemalans frequently trying to imitate American culture says about how they feel about their own culture, was amusing anyway.

I guess I'm becoming more popular around town these days, since doing my mini-summer camp with the kids the last few weeks. I also put up signs for my free English classes I'm starting and have already got lots of interest. I can't walk down the street these days without people, still mostly kids but more adults now, shouting my name as I pass. I guess it's a nice feeling.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home