Wednesday, November 04, 2009










I imagine back in my home state of Connecticut they're starting to enjoy the fall weather and colors. That's definitely something I miss here in Guatemala. The only 2 seasons here are the rainy season and the dry season, but there's been a drought here the last few months so even that distinction hasn't meant too much. The idea of having 4 seasons as different as the ones we have in New England is completely foreign here. I try to explain it to people, but it's hard to describe snow to someone that's never seen it. One thing I never realized before is how the changing seasons give a sense of flow and even order to the passing of time, a sense I miss here. Here, it sometime seems that time doesn't pass at all, and I need to remind myself that I've been here in Guatemala about 10 months, quickly coming on a whole year!

The school year here is different and is coming to an end this week—Guatemalan kids are now starting what would be the equivalent of their 'summer vacation' until January. I have mixed feelings about completing my first school year here. The last month or so teachers seemed very busy with all sorts of different paper work and meetings, so it was hard to get them to even stay in the classroom during my lessons, much less continue with the changes I would have like to have made a priority. Nonetheless, looking back I think we definitely made progress in all my 3 schools. For example, in Centro Ichomchaj, my largest school, they only have 1 sink for over 200 kids. In order to implement a hand washing system for before the school snack, I suggested they obtain plastic barrels with spigots at the bottom for each classroom to use. To my surprise, they did. It's not a permanent solution—building more actual sinks is something I hope to do next year-- but it works fine and kids are able to wash their hands and brush their teeth much easier. In my smallest school, chua chioj, one of my favorite teachers Luis suggested I make a final exam for his class based on the material I taught them over the past 7 months. I was pleased when, overall, the class did fairly well, averaging a score of about 75%, with several scores in the 90%s and one perfect score. I try to tell myself that at the end of the day if even some of the students absorb the information I'm trying to impart my work will be worth it. Looking back, we also did some fun, interactive activities which will hopefully serve as a model for teachers, such as teaching about recycling by making piñatas out of recycled newspapers and plastic bags.

I'm trying to plan some activities in the community to keep myself busy during these months. First, I'm planning a 'mini summer camp' for the kids in my town, where I'll teach them sports and games from the U.S. like kickball, capture the flag, and duck duck goose as well as doing songs, teaching some basic English, and other educational activities and community service like picking up trash around town. I'm also going to start teaching English classes once a week. I'm also hoping to paint a big map of the world on the wall outside of the elementary school. I'm also continuing my K'iche language classes. It's going, slowly, but I'm finally able to form some basic sentences and understand a little bit when people speak to me slowly. I'll see how things continue to go.

Today I've been invited to attend a graduation ceremony for the 6th graders at one of the elementary schools I work in. I was very touched that the students themselves took the initiative to invite me, and reminded me not to forget, so I know it's important to them that I attend. For most if not all of the graduating 6th graders, they're probably the first generation in their family to attend even elementary school. I asked them how many were planning on continuing on to middle school next year. Of the 25 or so graduating 6th graders, only 3, all girls, are planning to continue studying in middle school next year. There are lots of barriers in the way. Lots of kids have to work to support their large families with many mouths to feed. Parents, most of whom didn't go to school themselves, often don't understand the importance of education and don't or can't afford to support their kids going to school. And in the case of more remote schools like the one I'm going to today, just getting to the only middle school in the area will involve the 3 girls walking almost an hour, down a steep ravine then back up the other, under the hot sun. Then, after classes they'll have to do the same thing in the dark. Despite all the obstacles and challenges to education here, I'm inspired by the maturity and commitment these girls have shown in order to become educated and improve their lives.

I've also had some incredible adventure the last few months, the most memorable of which was going back to Colorado to be the best man in my dear friends Aaron and Aneta's wedding outside of Steamboat Springs. It was so wonderful to get back to my old home, if only for a few days, see old friends and of course, party and have the time of our lives. The party continued the following week when they came down to Guatemala for their honeymoon and I got to be tour guide. We had a blast, first in Antigua, then in my site, then exploring lake Atitlan for several nights. The highlight of the trip (and possibly the most fun I've had in Guatemala) was renting a power boat and waterskiing and wakeboarding through the sunny, volcano ringed lake the whole weekend.

Last weekend was a religious festival in my town. Courtenay and I were invited to participate in an event to go to Huehuetenango, light torches at a church there and bring them back on our bicycles. It ended up being a crazy, fun day and was great for my integration into the community here. Before coming back on the bikes we spent a few hours hanging out at a mini-water park complete with water slides and lots of statues including a huge T-Rex overlooking the pool with water coming out of his mouth. People would climb up and jump or dive off into the less than 6 feet of water. Needless to say it wasn't the safest experience but was very fun. I thought we would bike all or at least most of the way back here to town, but in the end we ended up not getting on our bikes until 4 in the afternoon, so were only able to pedal an hour or so before piling our bikes back on the truck and climbing in the mini van. The ride we did do was fun though, and we saw an unbelievable complete double rainbow! Back at the edge of town, we got out and got back on our bikes, lit the torches, and rode into town to lots of cheer, fanfare, and of course—FIREWORKS (It wouldn't be a Guatemalan celebration without...) The next day the festival continued, and Courtenay and I participated (and lost) a contest where she fed me juice out of a baby bottle, and we ran a 3km road race which ended up being scandalized when it was revealed some of the contestants had secretly rode bikes part of the way. Other memorable recent weekends include riding my bike to Momostenango again in order to go to my friend Sarah's birthday party outside of Xela, and spending the night at some beautiful hotsprings called Fuentes Georginas for a welcome party a few weeks ago. Yesterday I rode my bike to Quiche. It was a beautiful ride and only took less than an hour and a half. I hung out with my friend Susy and it ended up being a really nice day.


1 Comments:

At 8:28 AM , Anonymous Aaron said...

How was Fuentas Georginas?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home